Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Question of the Day: How do you tell a friend/associate that they have unrealistic expectations in a mate?


Oy! I could go on and on about the list of clients I've had that maintain ridiculously high standards in their search for a mate. When it comes to being single, its quite a challenge to give a diplomatic explanation as to why someone remains on the market because one's ego, pride and emotions feel as though they're being exposed. That said, however, sometimes a dose of reality and tough love are exactly what's in order if an individual would, in fact, like to make a change for the better in their romantic life.

I recently had a conversation with a client who was resisting the matchmaking process too much to receive any positive outcome from it. I finally had to say to him, "The people who receive the best results from this are the ones that come to me with an open, willing spirit. Don't look at meeting a date as walking down the aisle after the end of the evening. You've hired me to help you in your love life because what you were doing in the past wasn't working for you. So let go, and trust that I am here to help you, regardless of the outcome."
If I've learned nothing else from owning a singles company, I now know with 100% certainty that there will never be a dearth of overly picky single folks out there! Some people say you can never be too picky, but I couldn't disagree with this statement anymore. After all, too much of anything is usually a bad thing. I think we'd all be better off if we had more fun, laughed more often and took ourselves a lot less seriously!

No comments:

Post a Comment