Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Question of the Day: Your new S.O. just admitted they're SEVERELY in debt. Do you consider this a sign of the times or a huge red flag?


Yep, we all know times are tough economically. Some folks have endured the toughest economic difficulty of their lives what with unemployment, stock crashes, house foreclosures and layoffs. That said, however, I have to admit if I've found myself in a newly established serious relationship and my partner declares to me he's in significant amounts of debt, I'm going to think twice before taking things to the next level.


Don't get me wrong, I am most definitely not looking for a sugar daddy and am quite determined and capable of making my own way financially. But while every situation is different, it would raise a big red flag if my partner revealed he owed mounds of money to creditors and lendors from past financial irresponsibility.


If I'm being honest, I think the last thing anyone would really want to do is date someone who is in severe debt or has disastrous credit. To me, it shows a lack of self control, planning, level headedness and maturity. And you could probably time to the exact minute when you're going to start hearing the hints about their lack of money, how much they owe on their credit cards, how austere their life now is, etc. (As in, "Can you help a brotha'/sista' out?") My theory is, if I can't afford it, I save up for it until I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment