Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Question of the Day: Your BFF claims to be head-over-heels in love after dating someone for only a week. What is your initial reaction?


I'm not asking what you would say to your friend who just informed you he's/she's madly in-love after dating someone for a week, but what is your initial gut response? What's the first thing that pops into your mind? Are you immediately elated for your friend and ready to help plan the wedding? Are you skeptical? Are you annoyed? Are you cautiously optimistic?


I'll never forget when a girlfriend of mine called me up after she'd returned from a week's long vacation at a singles Club Med in Jamaica. She asked me to come over to her house while she unpacked and said, "Hurry! I have some really exciting news!" Once I arrived, she gushed on and on about meeting the most amazing man she'd ever met, while she was away and how he was the love of her life and her soon-to-be next husband.


My initial reaction was shock. I vividly recall thinking to myself, "Wait! She was only gone for a week and now she's head-over-heels in love with a Canadian whose first language is French and can barely utter a sentence in English?" I remember watching her swirl around her bedroom as she unpacked her clothes and prattled off all the details of their fast track, torrid affair.


I'll admit, it wasn't long before my state of shock turned to utter annoyance. It was especially irritating watching her flip through an English-French translation dictionary as she fantasized teaching each other their respective languages over candlelit dinners. Sure, I was happy for my dear friend, but realizing the odds of a relationship like this working out were slim to none, I couldn't help but feel critical and perturbed by her naivete. Was she so foolish as to believe this Canadian Don Juan and she were going to rendezvous somewhere in the mid-west, settle down and raise their babies amidst the corn stalks?


I confess, when she called me up deflated, admitting that Mr. Mountie and she were no longer an item because they simply had nothing in common, I felt a surge of self righteousness. Hey...I'm not proud, but at least I'm owning up to my shortcomings! I was disappointed and saddened for her that her hopes and dreams had been dashed; however, I was also hopeful she would learn from this experience and grow to be a bit more cautious with her heart in the future. And the next time she runs off to Club Med to meet handsome, romantic foreign men, she vows to take moi!

No comments:

Post a Comment